We spent two weeks on our Community Helpers theme. One of our crafts involved mixing paint to make a fire. I showed my students red and yellow paint, putting some of each on the paper. I placed a piece of plastic wrap on top of the paint and asked them to mix the two colors to make a fire to put out. We discussed how we started out with yellow and red and then I asked them what other color they saw when they were finished. The next day we painted hands blue after gluing on a hose. Students used their blue hands to make water come out of the hose to put out the fire. Activity was inspired by this pin.
Thanks to another teacher I received these small red cups. I placed foam numbered flames with hot glue onto each cup after discovering that sticky tack definitely does not work. Students sprayed the cups to put out the fires. As the sensory bin was used it got more difficult to place the cups in stacks due to the fact that the cups slide around in the water.
These community helper puzzles were a great find at the Green Valley Book Fair. I love that they are self checking; they will not go together unless they are in the correct puzzle.
I found a great set of community helper vehicles and people to clip together. Creating this uses quite a few clothes pins, so I suggest grabbing a set at the dollar store.
In addition to community helper activities we also worked on letter C activities. My students are very interested in everything dot marker, so I put together many different dot marker activities for my students. The one pictured can be found here.
Our pretend play has been an Auto Shop. Printables for this are from Pocket of Preschool. I discovered a few things this year that were not an issue last year. I tried a different method of raising up the car this year. The cubes worked okay, but one student tried to kneel on one of them. So, we ended up sliding the two crates directly under the car, which actually allowed two spots for the students to lay under the car at a time.
I also discovered that my students liked twisting the pipe cleaner wires around the crate instead of into the car. I did not complain since it was still great fine motor work for them.
I also discovered that my students liked dumping things into the car and sometimes needed help getting things out to put them away.
Next we will take the car and turn it into a tractor for our pumpkin patch.