Today I am having some quiet time at home with no children to prepare myself for the Easter celebration tomorrow. It is a beautiful, sunny day and the grass is mowed thanks to my oldest daughter. My youngest helped me sell some items on Craigslist, which has helped with spring cleaning as well.
Above you can see the artwork of my students in preparation for Easter. We made the palm leaves for Palm Sunday and the crosses as we discussed Good Friday. The crosses were made with painters tape and the idea was to dab the paint with the circular sponges with handles, but my students all had other plans, which is okay. I just laughed at myself because it was one of the very few times that I made an example for them to see of what it might look like when it would be finished after the tape was pulled off.
I have also been hard at work this week on my Teachers Pay Teachers shop, adding lots of alphabet goodies, including a massive bundle of everything alphabet that I have created so far.
Don’t forget to check out my spring calendar freebie, even if you just want to save it for next year. I hope to add a bunch of new calendar sets soon, so if you have any in mind, please let me know. I am currently working on one with insects.
We recently completed our Pond theme in my preschool classroom. We were lucky enough to get some gray tree frog tadpoles to visit our classroom during this theme. The tree frogs like to lay their eggs in the water in our above ground pool before we open it for the summer, so we always save some of them before cleaning the pool. They will continue to live in my classroom through the next month so we can watch them grow throughout our summer camps.
For some reason my sensory bin looks a bit less like a pond this year than last year, probably due to the fact that I was using our new larger sensory bin that is red instead of blue. The bin has some flat blue glass beads in the bottom, a bunch of frogs purchased from Oriental Trading, some lily pads made from foam, and some tadpoles made with pony beads and a bit of pipe cleaner, inspired by this. I used brown beads and pipe cleaner since that most closely matched our real tadpoles in the classroom.
For dramatic play I went for simplicity since we did not have a long time for centers during the week due to rehearsing for graduation. I found this kiddie pool on clearance at the end of the summer last year and grabbed it to make it into a bird’s nest. It also makes a great pond. The lily pads are place mats I found at Dollar Tree. I already had the frogs. The ping pong balls are from Dollar Tree as well. I wrote an alphabet letter on each one and students had to catch them with the net and then place them in the correct spot labeled with the same letter on small paint palettes.
Frogs are similar to the ones pictured above, found on Amazon.
I was also excited to find this small garbage can at Dollar Tree and created a frog for a counting game. The other teacher I work with had some plastic flies. Students rolled the dice and then used the tool to pick up and feed the frog.
We also had a fun catch the bugs game with pink toy noise makers that I also found at Dollar Tree. I placed a section of velcro on the ends and cut up small pieces of felt for the children to catch with their frog tongues. You can find out more about this idea here.
For my pocket chart calendar I would use these calendar cards: