Changing my classroom layout sometimes seems overwhelming to me. When I start thinking about moving one area to another spot, suddenly I think of all the other things that will need to be moved and how many issues I need to solve because of the move. That sometimes makes me decide against a change. However, I got brave after our preschool camps were finished and managed to make a big change to my classroom with the help of my teen daughter who provided some muscle and some ideas of her own.
Above you can see what the classroom looks like when you walk in the door. Just inside are my cubbies for lunch boxes and water bottles. This is also where I put name cards down for answering our Question of the Day, so I knew I still wanted this to stay where it originally was. I also kept my easel and math/fine motor table where they had been for the time being. I did add a new piece of yoga mat under the easel to keep it from “walking” when students work on it. I found mine locally at a discount store, but you can find them on Amazon as well. (Affiliate link below.)
My main art and literacy table needs to be close to the sink. I kept it close to where it has been but moved the art supplies to be the back of the library area. This makes the circle time area, where I will be having blocks, easy to see if I am working at the art table. I don’t know at this point for sure how many students will be in my classroom next year, but do know that I wanted to move the block area to utilize the circle time rug to free up some space for other areas in the room if I had a larger group again like I had in the past year.
My main table usually has six chairs during centers time but moves up to eight during snack and lunch. I am still working out how many chairs I will have in my room for the fall. The number of students I end up with will help me figure this out. It may also make some changes to my layout.
Since I moved the blocks to the circle area I could not have the library area near the circle time rug anymore. I decided to put the library where I used to have blocks. This makes the area a little larger. I may need to move the bookshelf against the wall, especially if the science table ends up needing to accommodate more than two students. The library pillow is a pet pillow from IKEA. So far the camp kids loved using it, so I am happy with the addition to my room.
The blue table usually works as my science center in my classroom. If I need to have more seating I will need to rotate this table and place an end against the wall. I am playing around with placing the sensory bin either way. The pretend play in the corner will change every few weeks, but I think I have plenty of space for adjustments.
You can also see the writing table in the foreground. I had two tables like these for writing last year and have not decided if one will do or if I want to get another slightly larger table and scoot some things to make enough space for two students. I do like the table being next to the small shelf because I imagine I will use the top of it for placing writing supplies for the center.
This corner has always been my pretend play corner. It has just been a matter of whether it gets enlarged along the front or side wall. The main shelf may end up more angled to be parallel with whatever arrangement I end up with the circle rug. The reason for this is that I no longer have a spot for an alphabet due to my rearranging. The alphabet may end up on the back of that shelf.
My entire rearranging idea started with putting the blocks on the circle rug. I like this idea since it gives more space for building. I do need to still figure out the alphabet placement as well as think about where I will do my small groups activities during centers since I alternated between doing them on the circle time rug and at the science table in the past.
It currently feels super roomy in this section of the room so I know I can make some adjustments based upon how the use of the room works during our Vacation Bible Camp next month.
Be sure to check out my latest freebies. I just added a lesson plan form that I updated for use during the next school year.