We started our Bugs, Insects, and Spiders week with a question of the day that would go along with our dramatic play area. I love the photo of the kids in the beekeeping suits in this question. This question is part of my Spring Question of the Day set.
Pattern blocks are inviting when on the easel with sticky paper. The pattern blocks are made of foam. I used painters tape to put up clear contact paper over the insect theme pattern blocks that I printed out from PreKinders. You can find pattern blocks from Teacher Created Resources. (aff. link) We often use Contact brand liner (aff. link) for these projects, but have also used Duck brand (aff. link) as well. Since this side of my easel does not have a tray, I use a large clip to hold a container for the foam pattern blocks.
The other side of the easel has some alphabet review for my students. The Alphabet Beginning Sounds Match is from my shop. I like having a handful of letters for my students to review, instead of the entire alphabet.
I used both capital and lowercase alphabet magnets for this center. This set of alphabet magnets can be found here. (aff. link) I am liking this set of alphabet magnets, although the lowercase t does have the curve at the bottom.
During our Bug, Insect, and Spider week we did a couple sewing projects. This center got a bunch more use out of it after we created a spider web with a paper plate as one of our craft projects. I had a difficult time finding a source for these. I would not suggest buying them at this price, but wanted to share more branding information in case you could find them somewhere else.
How can you have Bug, Insect, and Spider week without Cootie? (aff. link) My set has one missing leg, but none of the kids seemed to notice this year. Putting the legs on is probably the biggest challenge for preschoolers since the legs look like they should go on one way, but really go in on more of an angle.
We used some linking cubes to measure some insects this week, thanks to this great freebie. Most of my students did not bother with filling out the form, but a few tried it. They did enjoy measuring how big each insect was. You could use a variety of non-standard measuring tools for these critters; we used linking cubes similar to these. (aff. link)
My sensory bin was filled with shell, rotini, and bow tie pasta to represent the stages of a butterfly. I also picked up some bug catchers, small nets, and tweezers from Dollar Tree. The nets try to slide off the plastic handle, so I will probably glue the plastic handle shut for next year. I also have some plastic bugs from Melissa & Doug to catch. They look similar to these (aff. link), which may be the updated version since I have had these for several years. Some friends captured bugs while others used the bug catchers to sort pasta.
My next post will share some more of my buggy week with a look at our bee keeper dramatic play that I was fortunate to have a bunch of help creating from both a coworker and a great set online that I purchased.